Saturday, March 30, 2013

My Birthday

The older I get, the less I look forward to my birthday.  I realize that with each passing hour, my children get older and unfortunately, I do, too.  This doesn't mean that I'm sad or denying the moments in my life---it just means that I'm learning to savor them more.


For the past few years, I have tried to take my birthday and use it as an opportunity to share about organizations who desperately need our help.  The last couple of years, I have shared the vision of Charity:Water and what they do to bring clean drinking water to the areas of the world that do not have access to it.  I can honestly say that this (clean vs. dirty water) has become a passion of mine and I am so thankful for the organizations out there that work together to help those who have NO access to clean drinking water.  It is a huge problem in the world and one that if we work together, we can help eliminate it.

Last fall, I had a few friends tell me about this new book they had read called, "Love Does" They told me that it is one that I would LOVE because it shares about things I am passionate about.  On my way to a trip out West, I borrowed a copy of the book and simply could.not.put.it.down.  I laughed a ton....stopped to day dream about the possibilities of making some of the stories my own....and found myself crying in joy.  The author, Bob Goff, is a man of great whimsy and enthusiasm who loves Jesus and wants others to share in the freedom that only Christ can give.  He writes about loving others with the love of Christ and being willing to accept others just as they are....using your gifts and talents that have been God-given to change the world around you....and how to look outside of the box.  He writes about walking and journeying WITH others instead of watching from the sidelines and how to focus on others instead of ourselves.

now, I'll admit, some of the stories are CRAZY but they share Bob's determination, fervor, delight, and ability to 'just go with it' and love people the way Jesus did.

My family had the honor of meeting him in January and have tried to develop a relationship with him because we believe in what he's doing, we believe in what he shares, and we want to leak Jesus the way he does.

So...as my birthday approaches, I have decided to share the organization that Bob started called: Restore International.   After a trip to India in the early 2000's, Bob became very aware of the crimes committed against children in the country; specifically human trafficking and sexual slavery.  Restore International was created to work with organizations to help children in different areas of the world....to offer freedom and hope....an education....and shares the Gospel with youth by loving on them and telling them about the One who can only offer TRUE freedom.  In response to the outpouring of children who needed help and assistance, the Restore Leadership Academy was started and at this time, over 260 children are in attendance.

Three weeks ago, a Primary School was added to the Restore Academy and they are in need of supplies for their school.  Chalkboards, writing and coloring utensils, paper, and even meals and clothing for the students.

As I approach my 36th birthday, I am asking anyone who is willing to share their resources to help me raise a goal of $2,000 for the Primary School, located in Gulu, Uganda.  Check out some photos that were provided from the Ribbon Cutting Ceremony.  You'll be able to tell right away who Bob Goff is.











As I've written on my Facebook page, I realize I'm not that big of a deal and my birthday, to many, is like any other day.  But this year....I want my birthday to mean something to lives of these children as they find out that people really do care about them.

I could go on and on and on about how amazing the Restore Leadership Academy is but I want to share one more story with you directly from the book, "Love Does."


"...we're asking these kids to ignore what's typical too.  We want them to be leaders through action, not just in name.  Sponsorship programs are common in developing countries.  For thirty dollars or so each month, it is not unusual for a child to have a sponsor in the United States to help with school fees. We got the kids together and explained to them how our sponsorship program was going to work.  We gave our kids some seeds, they planted the seeds, they raised the crops, they sold the crops, and with the money, our kids from the Restore Leadership Academy in Uganda sponsor a little skater kid in Oregon through The Mentoring Project, a fantastic organization out of Oregon that helps kids without dads."



Wow.  Friends, love really does.


To find out more about my birthday campaign, check out my page:




Thanks for walking with me through this....for raising awareness of the needs of others....and for being you.


grace + peace.

nickole huffman



No comments:

Post a Comment