Friday, May 31, 2013

Love Does (part 2)






The second main speaker at the Love Does Stuff conference was Joshua Dubois, the former Special Assistant to President Obama and Executive Director of the White House Office of Faith Based and Neighborhood Partnerships.   Joshua told a story of Bob Goff and a young boy who were visiting the White House one day for a very special outing.  He was having a really stressful day and things were really hectic and needless to say, his eggs were in way too many baskets.  He openly admitted that his attitude about Bob and this boy arriving was the last thing he wanted to do on that day. He was simply too busy!


Thankfully, he was able to give a tour to Bob and the young man and it brought such life and remembrance of redemption to his day.  He said:



"Spending time with children--this is what His Kingdom is about"

"We should be honored to do stuff with children"

and he mentioned a quote by his Pastor, Mark Batterson, who said this when questioned about the definition of true success:

"You are successful when the people who know you best respect you most"


and my favorite:

"Take orders from love, not from the calendar."


I've been thinking about this a lot lately, remembering that Jesus, in the midst of his talking to others about the Kingdom of God, welcomed children to come to Him.  The disciples were trying to push the children away, but Jesus pushed them aside to embrace them.  He said, “Let the children alone, don’t prevent them from coming to me. God’s kingdom is made up of people like these.” (matthew 19:14:message)


I had the honor and privilege to attend the preschool graduation of my godson, Noah, yesterday and was reminded of the sanctity of life...the beauty of children and the sheer joy they can provide. I think I smiled the entire time while I saw these precious children singing and clapping and stomping to the music that was playing and as they all received their sweet little diplomas.  

I was reminded of Jesus' prompting to let the children come to HIm and remembering the times I've shut my children down or ignored them (or said "uh huhhhh...." when I really had no idea what they were talking about) because i was just too busy. My calendar is usually very full but I'm trying to be more intentional to love them by listening to them, looking them in their eyes, embracing them more and ridding things from my calendar that just....don't.....matter....

I want to take Jesus' example when it comes to my own and other children around me. I want to be intentional with my time. I want to take orders from LOVE, not my calendar.

peace.










No comments:

Post a Comment